University Professor and Mikati Foundation Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Medical Sciences
622 West 168th Street
Department of Biomedical Engineering, VC12-234
New York, NY 10032
Phone: +1 212-305-2304
Fax: +1 212-305-4692
- 1980 Ph.D, Chemical Engineering, University of Belgrade, Serbia
- 1986-1987 Fulbright Fellow, MIT
- University Professor, Columbia University
- Mikati Foundation Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Medical Sciences
- Director, Laboratory for Stem Cells and Tissue Engineering
- Faculty, Center for Human Development, Columbia University
- Faculty, Herbert Irving Cancer Center, Columbia University
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Tufts University
- Scientific Director, Columbia University Stem Cell Core
- Co-Director, Craniofacial Regeneration Center, Columbia University
- Director, Stem Cell Imaging Core, Columbia University
- Co-director, Tissue Engineering Resource Center (NIH)
Honors and Awards (Selected)
- National Academy of Engineering (peer committee; Russ Prize committee)
- National Academy of Medicine
- National Academy of Inventors
- Academia Europaea
- Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- Serbian Academy of Engineering
- New York Academy of Science
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Robert A. Pritzker Award for 2017, Biomedical Engineering Society
- NIBIB National Advisory Council speaker, NIH, January 24, 2017.
- Doctorate in Science Honoris Causa, University of Novi Sad, Serbia
- Chair, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE)
- Board of Directors, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE)
- Fellow, Biomedical Engineering Society
- Fellow, AAAS
- Council, Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine Society (TERMIS)
- Foreign Policy’s 100 Leading Global Thinkers for 2014
- Founding Class, International Fellows of Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine
- Executive Editorial Board, Tissue Engineering (all journals)
- Board of Directors, Center for Advancement of Science in Space (CASIS); Scientific Director and Chair of the Committee for Science and Technology
- BioAccelerate Prize of the New York City Investment Fund
- Clemson award of the Society of Biomaterials
- Hall of Fame, Women in Technology International (one of 5 inducted in 2008)
- NIH Director’s Lecture, first woman engineer to receive this distinction
- Faculty of 1000 Medicine, Regenerative Medicine Section, US Section Head for Musculoskeletal Repair & Regeneration
- Four NASA awards for bioengineering patents
- Outstanding Performance Medal, World Congress of in vitro Biology
Tissue engineering, stem cells, regenerative medicine, study of disease
~36,000 citations and h=109 on Google Scholar; one of the most highly cited individuals of all times, in all disciplines(h>100)
- Freed L.E., Vunjak-Novakovic G, Biron R, Eagles D, Lesnoy D, Barlow S and Langer R. Biodegradable Polymer Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering, Nature Biotechnology 12: 689-693, 1994.
- Freed, L.E., Langer, R., Martin, I., Pellis, N., Vunjak-Novakovic, G. Tissue engineering of cartilage in space, PNAS, Vol. 94: 13885-13890, 1997; commentary in same issue: 13380-13382; highlighted in JAMA Vastag B Cell biology update: A decade of simulating space on earth. JAMA 285(17): 2182-2182, 2001.
- Radisic M, Park H, Shing H, Consi T, Schoen F, Langer R., Freed L.E. and Vunjak-Novakovic G. Functional assembly of engineered myocardium by electrical stimulation of cardiac myocytes cultured on scaffolds PNAS 101(52):18129-18134, 2004. (cover article)
- Radisic M, Marsano A, Maidhof R, Wang Y, Vunjak-Novakovic G. Perfusion bioreactors for controlling cellular environments. Nature Protocols 3(4):719-38, 2008
- Tandon N, Cannizzaro C, Chao P-hG, Marsano A, Maidhof R, Au H, Radisic M, and Vunjak-Novakovic G. Electrical stimulation systems for cardiac tissue engineering. Nature Protocols 4:155-173, 2009.
- Godier-Furnemont A, Martens T, Koeckert M, Wan LQ, Parks J, Zhang G, Hudson J, and Vunjak-Novakovic G. Composite scaffold provides a cell delivery platform for cardiovascular repairPNAS108(19): 7974-7979, 2011 Commentaries: Nature 472: 393, 2011; Circ Res 109 (5): 480-481, 2011.
- Wan LQ, Ronaldson K, Park M, Taylor G, Zhang Y, Gimble JM and Vunjak-Novakovic G. Micropatterned Mammalian Cells Exhibit Chiral Morphogenesis PNAS, vol. 108 (30): 12295–12300, 2011; cover article; commentary, PNAS, vol. 108 (30): 12191–12192, 2011.
- Vunjak-Novakovic G and Scadden D.T. Biomimetic platforms for human stem cell research. Cell Stem Cell 8:252-261, 2011.
- Eng GM, Lee WB, Parsa H, Chin C, Schneider J, Linkov G, and Vunjak-Novakovic G. Engineering complex three-dimensional cell microenvironments using docking hydrogel shapes. PNAS110(12):4551-56, 2013.
- Bhumiratana S, Eton R, Oungoulian S, Wan LQ, Ateshian GA and Vunjak-Novakovic G. Large, stratified and mechanically functional human cartilage grownin vitro by mesenchymal condensation. PNAS 111(19): 6940-45, 2014. Highlighted in Nature Rev Rheumatol Onoura S: Dishing up functional human cartilage. 10:321, 2014
- Villasante A, Marturano A and Vunjak-NovakovicG. Bioengineered human tumor within a bone niche. Biomaterials 35: 5785-5794, 2014. Editor’s Choice, Science Translational Medicine K. L. Spiller, How to Build a Better Bone Tumor. 6: 235ec81, 2014
- Vunjak-Novakovic G. A protein for healing infarcted hearts. News & Views. Nature 525, 461–462, 2015. Highlighted in New England Journal of Medicine, Journal Watch by the Editor, October 15, 2015.
- Kim J, O’Neill JD, N. Dorrello NV, Bacchetta M and Vunjak-Novakovic G. Targeted delivery of liquid micro-volumes into the lung. PNAS 112 (37) 11530-11535, 2015. Highlighted in Science Translational Medicine, Editor’s choice, K Spiller: Super model. 7 (307)307, 2015.
- Bhumiratana S, Bernhard JC, Alfi DM, Yeager K, Eton RE, Bova J, Shah F, Gimble JM, Lopez MJ, Eisig SB, and Vunjak-Novakovic G. Tissue engineered autologous grafts for facial bone reconstruction. Science Translational Medicine 8 (343) 343ra83, 2016.
- Ogle BM, Bursac N, Domian I, Huang NF, Menasche P, Murry C, Pruitt B, Radisic M, Wu J, Wu S, Zhang J, Zimmermann WH, Vunjak-Novakovic G. Distilling Complexity to Advance Cardiac Tissue Engineering. Science Translational Medicine 8, (342) 342ps13, 2016.
- Eng G, Lee BW, Protas L, Gagliardi M, BrownK, Kass RS, Keller G, RobinsonRB and Vunjak-Novakovic G. Autonomous beating rate adaptation in human stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes. Nature Communications 7:10312-10322, 2016.
- Ng J, Wei Y, Zhou B, Bernhard J, Robinson S, Burapachaisri A, Guo XE and Vunjak-Novakovic G. Spatiotemporal regulation promotes in vitro formation of phenotypically stable human articular cartilage constructs. PNAS 114(10): 2556-2561, 2017.
- Reilein A, Melamed D, Park K, Berg A, Cimetta E, Tandon N, Vunjak-Novakovic G, Finkelstein S, and Kalderon D. Distinct direct stem cell derivatives defined by stem cell location and graded Wnt signaling. Nature Cell Biology 10: 433-444, 2017.
- Parsa H, Wang BZ and Vunjak-Novakovic G. A Microfluidic Platform for the High-throughput Study of Pathologic Cardiac Hypertrophy. Lab on a Chip 2017 Aug 23. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:28832065
- O’Neill JO, Guenthart BA, Kim J,Scott Chicotka S, Queen D, Fung K, Marboe C, Romanov A, Huang SXL, Snoeck H-W, BacchettaM, Vunjak-NovakovicG. Cross-circulation for extracorporeal support and recovery of the lung. Nature Biomedical Engineering Epublished ahead of print, March 7, 2017
- Dorrello NV, Guenthart BA, O’Neill JD, Kim J, Biscotti M, Cunningham K, Swayne T, Wobma HM, Huang SXL, Snoeck H-W, Bacchetta M, Vunjak-Novakovic G.Functional vascularized grafts for lung bioengineering. Science Advances 3(8):e1700521, 2017. Highlighted in Science Vascularized grafts for lungs 357()6354):883, 2017.