Samuel K. Sia
- 1997: B.S. Biochemistry, University of Alberta
- 2002: Ph.D. Biophysics, Harvard University
- 2002-5: Postdoctoral Fellow, Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University
- 2005-2011: Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Columbia University
- 2011-present: Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Columbia University
- BMEN 4210 (Fall) - Thermodyanmics of Biological Systems
- BMEN 4590 (Spring) - BioMEMS: Cellular and Molecular Applications
Honors and Awards
- 1993-97: Canada Scholar
- 1997: Dean's Silver Medal in Science, University of Alberta
- 1997-99: National Science and Engineering Council of Canada Postgraduate Scholarship A
- 1999-2001: National Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada Postgraduate Scholarship B
- 1997-2002: Howard Hughes Medical Institute Predoctoral Fellowship
- 2002: Delegate, International Achievement Summit, Dublin, Ireland
- 2002: Harvard University Certificate of Distinction in Teaching
- 2004-5: Canadian Institutes of Health Research Fellowship
- 2006 American Heart Association Scientist Development Grant
- 2006 Walter H. Coulter Early Career Award
- 2007 National Academy of Engineering Frontiers Symposium
- 2008 NSF CAREER Award
- 2008 Walter H. Coulter Early Career Award, Phase II
- 2010 NASA Launch innovator
2010 MIT Technology Review 35
S.K. Sia and C.D. Chin, “Sweet solution to sensing”, Nature Chemistry, 3, 659–660 (2011).
C.D. Chin, T. Laksanasopin, Y.K. Cheung, D. Steinmiller, V. Linder, H. Parsa, J. Wang, H. Moore, R. Rouse, G. Umviligihozo, E. Karita, L. Mwamarangwe, S. Braunstein, J. van de Wijgert, R. Sahabo, J. Justman, Wafaa El-Sadr, S.K. Sia, “Microfluidics-based diagnostics of infectious diseases in the developing world”, Nature Medicine, 17, 1015–1019 (2011).
H. Parsa, R. Upadhyay, and S.K. Sia, “Uncovering the behaviors of individual cells within a multicellular microvascular community”, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 108, 5133-5138 (2011).
B.W. Lee, R. Schubert, Y.K. Cheung, F. Zannier, Q. Wei, D. Sacchi, and S.K. Sia, “Strongly Binding Cell-Adhesion Polypeptides of Programmable Valencies”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 49, 1971 –1975 (2010).
Y.K. Cheung, E.U. Azeloglu, D.A. Shiovitz, K.D. Costa, D. Seliktar and S.K. Sia, “Microscale control of stiffness in cell-adhesive substrate using microfluidics-based lithography”, Angew. Chemie. Int. Ed., 48: 7188-7192 (2009).
B. M. Gillette, J. A. Jensen, B. Tang, G. J. Yang, A. Bazargan-Lari, M. Zhong and S. K. Sia, "In situ collagen assembly for integrating microfabricated three-dimensional cell-seeded matrices", 7, 636 - 640, Nature Materials. (2008).
N. Damean, S.K. Sia, V. Linder, M. Navrolyansky and G.M. Whitesides, "Space- and time-resolved spectrophotometry at the microscale," Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 102:10035-9 (2005).
S.K. Sia, V. Linder, B.A. Parviz, A. Siegel and G.M. Whitesides, "Aportable and low-cost immunoassay for resource-poor settings," Angew. Chemie. Int. Ed., 43:498-502 (2004).
S.K. Sia and P.S. Kim, "Protein grafting of an HIV-1 inhibiting epitope," Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 100:9756-9761 (2003).
S.K. Sia, P.A. Carr, A.G. Cochran and P.S. Kim, "Mechanism of short,constrained a-helical peptides that inhibit HIV-1 entry," Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 99:14664-14669 (2002).
Microfluidics, point-of-care diagnostics, 3D tissue engineering, implantable devices.