Helen H. Lu
Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Chair, Graduate Studies
351 Engineering Terrace
1210 Amsterdam Avenue, Mail Code: 8904
New York, NY 10027
Phone: +1 212-854-4071
Fax: +1 212-854-8725
Interface tissue engineering and the formation of integrated complex tissue systems, multi-functional scaffold design for multi-tissue regeneration and biomimetic models to evaluate cell-material interactions, composite biomaterials for orthopaedic and dental applications.
Lab Web Site
Ph.D., Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania
M.S.E., Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania
- B.S.E., Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania
Selected Honors and Awards
- Member, Editorial Board, Regenerative Biomaterials
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE)
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)
- Member, Editorial Board, Tissue Engineering
- Society for Biomaterials Young Investigator Award
- Faculty Diversity Research Fellowship, Columbia University
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering
- International Award for Young Investigator in Orthopedic Biomechanics and Sports Medicine
- Wallace H. Coulter Foundation Early Faculty Career Award in Translational Research (Phases I & II)
In the Biomaterials and Interface Tissue Engineering Laboratory, we are interested in the following research areas:
Interface tissue engineering and mechanisms of soft tissue to bone integration
- Structure-function relationship at soft tissue-to-bone interfaces
- Mechanisms of tissue-to-tissue integration: Role of cellular interactions
Multi-phasic scaffold design for the formation of complex tissue systems
- Mechanism of cell-biomaterial interactions
- Design of composite biomaterials and scaffolds for functional tissue engineering
- Dental and Craniofacial Tissue Engineering
- National Institutes of Health
- New York Stem Cell Initiative
- Wallace H. Coulter Foundation
- National Football League (NFL) Charities
- Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation
- Whitaker Foundation
American Association of Endodontists
Publications - Critical Reviews and Book Chapters
- Subramony SD, Su A, Yeager K and Lu HH; “Combined effects of chemical priming and mechanical stimulation on mesenchymal stem cell differentiation on nanofiber scaffolds”, Journal of Biomechanics, 47(9):2189-2196, 2014.
- Spalazzi JP, Boskey A, Camacho N and Lu HH; “Characterization of matrix and mineral content at the anterior cruciate ligament-to-bone insertion sites”, PLoS ONE,8(9): e74349,2013.
- Subramony SD, Dargis BR, Castillo M, Azeloglu EU, Tracey MS, Su A and Lu HH; “The Guidance of stem cell differentiation by substrate alignment and mechanical stimulation”, Biomaterials, 34(8):1942-1953, 2013.
- Erisken C, Zhang X, Moffat KL, Levine WN and Lu HH; “Scaffold fiber diameter regulates human tendon fibroblast growth and differentiation”, Tissue Engineering, 19(3-4):519-528, 2013.
- Khanarian NT, Jiang J, Wan LQ, Mow VC and Lu HH; “A hydrogel-mineral composite scaffold for osteochondral interface tissue engineering”, Tissue Engineering, 18(5-6):533-545, 2012.
- Khanarian NT, Haney NM, Burga RA and Lu HH; “A functional agarose-hydroxyapatite scaffold for osteochondral interface regeneration”, Biomaterials, 33:5247-5258, 2012.
- Jiang J, Tang A, Ateshian GA, Guo XE, Hung CT and Lu HH; “Bioactive stratified polymer-ceramic-hydrogel scaffold for integrative osteochondral repair”, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 38(6):2183-2196, 2010.
- Moffat KL, Spalazzi JP, Doty SB, Levine WN and Lu HH; “Novel nanofiber based scaffold for rotator cuff repair and augmentation”, Tissue Engineering, 15(1):115-126, 2009.
- Lu HH, Vo JM, Lin J, Shin S, Cozin M, Tsay R and Landesberg R; “Controlled delivery of growth factors derived from platelet-rich plasma for bone formation”, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, 86A(4):1128-1136, 2008.
- Spalazzi JP, Vyner MC, Jacobs MT, Moffat KL, Rich CG and Lu HH; “Mechano-active scaffold induces tendon remodeling and expression of fibrocartilage markers”, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 466(8):1938-1948, 2008.
- Moffat KL, Sun WA, Pena PE, Chahine NO, Doty SB, Ateshian GA, Hung CT, and Lu HH; “Characterization of the structure-function relationship at the ligament-to-bone interface”, Proceedings of the National Academic of Sciences, 105(23): 7947-7952, 2008.
- Spalazzi JP, Dagher E, Doty SB, Guo XE, Rodeo SA and Lu HH; “In vivo evaluation of multi-phased scaffold designed for orthopaedic interface tissue engineering and soft tissue-to-bone integration”, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, 86A(1): 1-12, 2008.
- Jiang J, Leong NL, Mung J, Hidaka C and Lu HH; “Interaction between zonal populations of articular chondrocytes suppresses chondrocyte mineralization and this process is mediated by PTHrP”, Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 16(1):70-82, 2008.
- Wang IE, Shan J, Choi R, Oh S, Kepler CK, Chen FH and Lu HH; “Role of Osteoblast-Fibroblast Interactions in the Formation of the Ligament-to-Bone Interface”, Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 25(12):1609-1620, 2007.
- Wang IE, Mitroo S, Chen FH, Lu HH* and Doty SB; “Age-dependent changes in matrix composition and organization at the ligament-to-bone insertion”, 24(8):1745-1755, 2006.
- Spalazzi JP, Doty SB, Moffat KL, Levine WN and Lu HH; “Development of Controlled Matrix Heterogeneity on a Triphasic Scaffold for Orthopedic Interface Tissue Engineering”, Tissue Engineering, 12(12):3497-3508, 2006.
- Tsay RC, Vo J, Burke A, Eisig SB, Lu HH and Landesberg R; “Differential growth factor retention by platelet-rich plasma composites”, Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 63:521-528, 2005.
- BMEN E3830: Biomedical Engineering Laboratories
- BMEN E6505: Advance Scaffold Design and Engineering Complex Tissues
- ENGL C1007: Egleston Scholar Engineering Seminar
Interface tissue engineering and the formation of integrated complex tissue systems, multi-functional scaffold design for multi-tissue regeneration and biomimetic models to evaluate cell-material interactions, composite biomaterials for orthopaedic and dental applications