Biomechanical Engineer- The Johns Hopkins University
Biomechanical Engineer -- Job Requisition 101484
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (JHU APL) is seeking an engineer in biomechanics with experience in tissue mechanics and computational modeling of dynamic response of the human body to impact. The selected candidate will join APL's Biomedicine Business Area and support a number of innovative research projects. He/she will directly contribute to computational efforts within the Biomechanics and Injury Mitigation Systems (BIMS) Program. This program develops and uses computational and experimental models of the human body to understand response to blast, ballistic and automotive impact events. Injury prediction and prevention are a focus of these efforts. As part of an interdisciplinary project team, including members within APL, the University, and outside technical partners, the selected candidate will work to address the critical challenges of our sponsors.
The selected Biomechanical Engineer will be responsible for:
* Computational human model development including finite element mesh generation from medical imaging data, material model optimization, and contact algorithm selection.
* Modeling and simulation of blast, ballistic and vehicle impact loading events on component and full human models leading toward model validation and injury prediction.
* Support of experimentation used for computational model validation.
* BS degree and five years of relevant experience or MS degree and three years of experience in biomechanics.
* Computational experience with structural human body models, mesh development, material model optimization, contact algorithm selection, and model validation against experimental data.
* Engineering knowledge in viscoelastic materials, impact dynamics and signal analysis.
* Proficient in explicit Finite Element Analysis; particularly LS-Dyna.
* Experience in injury scoring based on analysis of modeling results.
* Demonstrated use of experimental results from biological tissue testing for computational model validation.
* Proficient in scripting languages (e.g. MATLAB) for custom pre/post model processing and interfaces;
* The ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* US Citizenship - Applicants selected will be subject to a Government security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information, which includes US citizenship.
* MS or PhD degree with 3 years of experience in blast physics and loading mechanisms and their effects on either human or vehicle systems.
* Demonstrated experience with data visualization and experience with MADYMO occupant simulation program.
* Demonstrated experience with computational fluid dynamics.
* Understanding of injury metrics and biological tissue testing.
* Familiarity with anthropomorphic dummies and SAE data collection.
* Experience in clinical biomechanics.
SPECIAL WORK CONDITIONS:
Candidate may become involved with biological tissue experimentation for model validation, which will require the strict observance of biohazard safety procedures.
Some travel to test sites and conferences.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Government security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information, which includes US citizenship.
INFORMATION ON APL:
The Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is a division of the Johns Hopkins University, conveniently located on 365 acres in suburban Maryland midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC. APL is a not-for-profit research and development organization with over 4,000 employees dedicated to solving a wide range of complex problems that present critical challenges to the nation. APL's staff and world-class facilities have made the Laboratory a major asset to the nation for more than six decades.
JHU APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a competitive scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at http://www.jhuapl.edu/.
JHU APL is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, as well as other applicable laws, and values diversity in its workforce.
HOW TO APPLY: